Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Day of Thankfulness!

First, I wanted to say a big big thank you to a fellow MSU-SLP that helped to get the word out about my blog and my facebook page! I started to read her blog last year and she is the person who inspired me to start my own blog, so a big thank you!! Also if you haven't please check out her blog - it is amazing!

Second, today's blog post is a bit on the personal side but since the majority of Speech-Language Pathologists are female I thought that this post would be appropriate! Six months ago during my monthly breast exam I found a lump (cue the scary music - duh duh DUHHHH)!!! I have a history of breast cancer in my family so I was a bit nervous.

After about two weeks of this annoying lump not going anywhere I made an appointment with my primary care physician who then referred me to an amazing Breast Care Clinic at CoxHealth hospital (where I work). Because of my age, 26 they did not feel that a mammogram would be appropriate so I had an ultra sound. As I was preparing for the ultra sound I thought to myself "I'm sure this is nothing - probably in my head - I'm sure there is nothing there." I looked up at the screen and...



an image similar to this appeared! Holy smokes there was actually something there! The radiologist diagnosed it as a "cluster of cysts - likely benign - BI-RADS 3 - "Probably Benign". Most people would be okay with "probably benign" but not me - in this case I was a yes or no type of person. The radiologist wanted me to come in every 6 months to have it checked out but about two months later the stress got to me and I went back in for another check up! This time I decided to have it aspirated, and though they could not aspirate much of it I am so glad they did so! I had no more pain! 

The radiologist recommended a 6 month check up - well today was that 6 month check up, a second radiologist took another look at it and no change! They definitely feel that it is a cluster of cysts and I have nothing to worry about! I do not have to return for a follow up until I turn 39 unless there is a new concerning change. I am so very thankful for my family and friends that supported me through all of this and I am thankful that it is not cancer! I am also thankful for the fantastic radiologists that I worked with and the support they gave me by referring me to a genetic counselor. I learned a lot about my family history this way!

I was really on the fence about posting this because one it is very private and two by no means am I looking for sympathy, I wanted to take this opportunity to educate. Through this entire process I was constantly told "you are so young you have nothing to worry about." Which is true I am young but I know I am not invincible and it is important to listen to your body and be proactive. Even at a young age it is important to do monthly breast exams and be proactive about your health! Early detection is so important in any form of cancer! As women we are fortunate to be able to do these monthly screenings in the privacy of our own homes - so please take advantage! 

Below I put down a couple of links that I found helpful while I was researching during this time of uncertainty. I hope that this post encourages others to be proactive about their health! Questions, comments? I don't mind answering! 

Happy health!






No comments:

Post a Comment